A surrogacy journey, jointly documented by Surrogate and Intended Mother.

Tuesday 30 April 2013

Drama queen

Anyone who knows me will agree that I rather like the limelight. I also have a rather special way of attracting the most attention possible, by doing things such as rupturing my achilles' tendon at a 3rd birthday party. Consequently, I think it's very safe to assume that LMHH is definitely her mummy's daughter.

We'd all been convinced that the huge amount of pains Niki was having low down were LMHH engaging as she should be so were pretty taken aback when the midwife told us she was breech. Poor Niki was clearly shaken but as always was so calm about it all and we talked through it and agreed that all would be ok as we'd look after each other, whatever the scan revealed. I was pretty worried, not for LMHH's safety as I knew that she'd be looked after and kept safe regardless, but for Niki and the fact it would probably throw the birth plan right out the water (excuse the pun). We all know that a C-section is a possibility in any birth, but obviously we're hoping for our ideal scenario and I'm desperately wishing that even more so for Niki. When someone does something this amazing for someone else, surely that's the least she deserves? 

A day or two before the scan, Niki sent me a bump pic which looked suspiciously like a transverse little monkey. This was obviously a good sign as it meant she was having a good old shift around, and boy could Niki feel it. We drove up early Thursday, apprehensive but hopeful that she might have turned. As we have found consistently with Walsgrave, all we had to do was explain our situation and the midwife was more than happy for Adam and I to go into the scan room with Niki. Sure enough, having got everyone to drop and rearrange everything and caused a week of worry, there was LMHH, head down as she should be, smacking her lips and sticking her tongue out as if to say "mwahaha fooled you!" I felt a mixture of absolute relief, and obscure pride for my naughty little monkey. The sonographer was yet again wonderful, and then spent some more time showing us our baby in greater detail. I really feel lucky to be under such a lovely hospital with such warm and caring staff. 

Huge relief and joy all round; for now at least, the birth plan was back on and we could all relax a little. Adam stayed for some lunch and teamie time and then had to return home. I essentially moved in with Niki and Steve for the next few days as we had the SUK conference on the Saturday, which took place in Warwick. At this stage in the pregnancy, the IM should really be looking after the surrogate as much as possible. Instead, Niki & I make quite a pair as she's waddling and I'm hopping. Steve did an excellent job of looking after both of us and really is a star. 

The conference on Saturday was fantastic. It was so lovely to catch up with lots of surrogacy friends, and even more exciting to meet some new long awaited babies. I walked around the entire day grinning like an idiot. I have been to 4 of these conferences now, but this time, Niki is next in line to give birth, which makes us (according to due dates) the next in line to become parents. SUK is a wonderfully supportive organisation and now we are further along in our surrogacy journey it feels great to be able to give something back and support newer members.

Whizzing back in time to my baby shower...it really was the most magical day. I sat there, drinking it all in, barely being able to contain my excitement that this was a baby shower for me, because I am going to be a mummy. I considered Niki as much of a special guest as I was at this shower, however typically she considered herself as one of my friends, shying away from any attention or praise and bringing gifts to spoil LMHH with.





I was surrounded by my wonderful friends and family, eating cakes, playing games and being thoroughly spoilt...I just felt incredibly lucky. And it really is all down to Niki and her family. None of this would be happening if it wasn't for her. This is a life-changing chapter for Adam and I and it's being created by this incredible woman and her generosity.

We really are on the home straight now and essentially, just waiting for things to start. We're 37 + 4, so full term, and it could be any day now. Are Adam and I ready? As ready as we'll ever be; we've waited so long for this and I cannot believe the day is nearly here, when I'll get to hold my baby in my arms for the first time. 

1 comment:

  1. Oh thanks goodness she's turned! She obviously wants to make things as easy as possible for her lovely surrogate!

    I always get tears in my eyes whenever I read any updates on here, I even used to back when Niki first told us what she was planning to do, even before she met you guys - Just imagining the joy she was going to bring was enough to turn the waterworks on (Honestly, a few years ago I was not the teary type!) - But now that this is so real, that Niki has met and knows you guys, that I've read things from both hers, and your perspective it fills me with absolute joy. Obviously I don't know you, Emily and Adam, heck I only know Niki from our April10 boards, but I don't think I could possibly be happier for two people I've never even spoken to!

    ReplyDelete